A couple of weeks ago raincoaster wrote about bucket lists, and bemoaned the fact that people don’t seem to be aiming very high with said lists. (Apparently an inordinate number of people want to visit a place called Six Flags. I googled it. I’m with raincoaster. An amusement park? Really?)
Before I kick the bucket, before that future day of global mourning when I will throw in the
towel hammer (if I have to go I’m taking someone with me), I want to…
- Finish a novel and feel good enough about it that I’d be willing to charge money for it (I’m a perfectionist and I’m not asking people money for something riddled with errors or simply poorly written)
- Publish a novel, traditionally (cause that’s a whole other kettle of fish from #1, and while I have nothing against self-publishing and will probably do it myself at one point, I’d like, at least once, to have someone hand me a big fat advance cheque)
- Win a Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy, or Mythopoeic Award (or all four – I’m flexible)
- Have my own Wikipedia page (I’m stealing this one from raincoaster‘s list. Also, if #1-3 succeeds this is hopefully a given)
- Learn to wield a sword (and not one of those flimsy fencing foils; a real hand-forged longsword…also, own one of those)
- Eat the meat from a wild animal I killed myself, preferably using a bow and arrow (also, learn archery)
- Get my Ph.D. before I’m fourty
- Sail the high seas on a seventeenth-century frigate (it doesn’t actually have to be IN the seventeenth century, but if that’s an option… Also, it doesn’t have to a frigate – something bigger will also work)
- Suffer a severe case of Florence Syndrome (Hallucinations due to an over-exposure to beautiful art? Bring it!)
- And in the interests of aiming higher, GO TO SPACE! (I’m no Richard Branson, but civilian space-flight is apparently a thing now, and if I’m a world-famous author I might just be able to afford a ticket. The wife informs me she’ll stay on Mother Earth, thank you very much!)
I can think of a few more bucket goals to add here, but I’ll stand with ten for now.
Do you have a bucket list? Are you aiming high enough?
Image courtesy of Efraimstochter on Pixabay.com